Prevention is one of the cornerstones of public health. In this climate of fiscal restraints and increasing health care costs, we can no longer spare the "pound of cure" in lieu of the "ounce of prevention." But what is most apparent is that it makes the most sense from every standpoint to keep people healthy rather than treat their preventable disease and suffering. This is what Public Health is all about.
The Cape May County Health Department continues to proactively look for ways of improving the health status of all our residents. We are constantly looking for and developing new collaborative relationships and efforts to meet the needs of Cape May County residents in the most efficient and effective manner. These consist of both environmental issues and life style choices that affect the quality of life here in Cape May County.
Only by working together can we identify gaps in the healthcare system, and together focus our resources to achieve healthier, and happier Cape May County residents. We are fortunate to have established a strong relationship with many government agencies, medical providers and health care organizations who support our mission and commitment to the community.
Working with a community of partnerships, the Cape May County Health Department is dedicated to achieving a healthy community environment and the prevention of disease by assuring that high quality services, including personal health services, are accessible to all.
Public Health Goals
- Prevent epidemics and the spread of disease
- Protect against environmental hazards
- Prevent injuries
- Promote and encourage healthy behaviors
- Respond to disasters and assist communities in recovery
- Assure the quality and accessibility of health services
Essential Public Health Services
- Monitor health status to identify community health problems and community resources
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community
- Inform, educate, empower people about health issues
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure provision of health care when otherwise unavailable
- Assure a competent public health and personal healthcare workforce
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services